RE: Alias info ?

  • From: "Simon Butler" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 12:52:39 +0100

Reason number 1 not to reuse accounts. I always create new accounts for
people to get round these issues.

There will be an entry buried deep in the active directory that will
require the use of ADSIEDIT to change.
However by changing it you will cause any email that the user has
already sent and someone tries to reply to, to fail. It is the key entry
that Exchange uses for email mailbox identification. Everything else is
just display data. You will have to send an email to all users telling
them that when they are replying to hit reply as normal, then remove the
name from the address line and add the user back in again from the GAL.

Similarly anyone with Outlook 2003 and the recently used addresses will
have to delete the old address and choose from the GAL fresh - which
will repopulate the recent address list.

Simon Butler
MCP, MCSA, MVP:Exchange
Senior Systems Administrator
Amset IT Solutions Ltd.