[ExchangeList] Re: Access a system by its MAC address

  • From: Prabhu Kamuni <prabhu2311@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 03:09:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Shorabh S. Upadhyay,

Its a good question....

But why do you wanna know if we can access through MAC address ??

You can ask so many simple quetions but it should make sense , I mean purpose should be there right ??

When the world is accessing  all the servers/machines through Ip addresses why do you wanna access through MAC ?

Whereas MAC addressing works at the data link layer, IP addressing functions at the network layer (layer 3). It's a slight oversimplification, but one can think of IP addressing as supporting the software implementation and MAC addresses as supporting the hardware implementation of the network stack. The MAC address generally remains fixed and follows the network device, but the IP address changes as the network device moves from one network to another.
IP networks maintain a mapping between the IP address of a device and its MAC address. This mapping is known as the arp table . arp protoco  supports the logic for obtaining this mapping and keeping the cache up to date.dhcp also usually relies on MAC addresses to manage the unique assignment of IP addresses to devices.

shorabh upadhyay <shorabh.upadhyay@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My simple question is that " this is possible or not and if possible than how "

All responses are appreciated !!!

On 6/2/06, Sanborn, John NGAZ <john.o.sanborn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Reading between what few words there are, I'm thinking he's looking to find a machine based on just the MAC address.

Which would still bring up the question of Why?  For most purposes you will still need to translate the MAC to IP or NETx name to be able to access it, unless it's on the local subnet.  And even if it is, as someone else said, it's not very friendly at that level.

John