[ExchangeList] Re: Access a system by its MAC address

  • From: "Jon Spriggs" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 10:34:51 +0100

http://www.msexchange.org
-------------------------------------------------------Hi Shorabh,

It is possible to obtain a MAC address from an IP address, and then
once you know what IP address resolves to your MAC address, you can
then connect to it from there.

Some tools you will need are:

Ethereal
NMAP (for pinging - any other will do)

If you load ethereal and put in the "Filter" box

eth.dst == ds:tm:ac:ad:dr

where ds:tm:ac:ad:dr is the mac address of your mysterious box, then
this will identify it when you then run NMAP with the following
command:

nmap -sP 1.1.1.0/24

where 1.1.1.0 is the start of your subnet (e.g. 192.168.0.0) and the
/24 indicates a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

You will then get a "ping" entry in ethereal for your IP address...
but only if it's on the same subnet as the device you're trying to
access!

Hope that helps :)

Jon "The Nice Guy"

On 6/2/06, shorabh upadhyay <shorabh.upadhyay@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My simple question is that " this is possible or not and if possible than how "

All responses are appreciated !!!
<SNIP>