[ExchangeList] Re: Access a system by its MAC address

  • From: Chris Buechler <msexchange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 02:07:15 -0400

http://www.msexchange.org
-------------------------------------------------------shorabh upadhyay wrote:

"Can we access any computer through Network by its MAC address only without given any IP address to this LAN card?"

If you only want to talk ARP and anything else at layer 2 with it, sure. If you want to use anything that requires TCP/IP, that requires an IP.

Some people use IP-less systems in the Unix world for syslog servers. This is only possible if you use static ARP on the hosts that'll be logging to that syslog server (or, if cross-subnet, the routers that communicate with that server), and only works with UDP syslog. UDP syslog just blindly pushes out packets to the destination machine, and that IP need not be live if static ARP is used since the only real use of that IP by syslog clients is for ARP. Then you setup the server to suck in syslog off the interface being used (to oversimplify things...).

It would work with other UDP protocols that don't require any communication back from the host you're sending data to, but syslog is the only such real world use I can think of. I've never heard of anybody trying anything like this on Windows. I doubt if it's possible or if it is, it would be difficult and ugly. Unix systems are much more flexible with networking when it comes to things like this.

There's no way to make this type of IP-less setup work on any OS with TCP protocols, or with any other IP protocol that requires communication outbound from the machine in question.

List Archives: http://www.freelists.org/archives/exchangelist/ MSExchange Newsletter: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/newsletter.asp MSExchange Articles and Tutorials: http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/ MSExchange Blogs: http://blogs.msexchange.org/ -------------------------------------------------------