AW: RE: E2K / Mixed Mode / Clients hang

  • From: Christian.Schramm@xxxxxxx
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 22:08:25 +0100

Outlook 2000

-----UrsprÃngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Periyasamy, Raj [mailto:Raj.Periyasamy@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Gesendet: Do 05.02.2004 19:43
An: [ExchangeList]
Betreff: [exchangelist] RE: E2K / Mixed Mode / Clients hang

http://www.MSExchange.org/

What version of Outlook ?

Regards,

-----Original Message-----
From: Christian.Schramm@xxxxxxx [mailto:Christian.Schramm@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 12:17 PM
To: [ExchangeList]
Subject: [exchangelist] E2K / Mixed Mode / Clients hang

http://www.MSExchange.org/

Dear list,

After migrating some test users to the exchange 2000 server, we are
discovering some issues.

Config as followed:

-          Mixed mode site (one 5.5 server / one exchange 2000 server)

-          Site integrated in organization with several different sites
(some also in mixed mode, some plain 5.5)

-          Between some the sites are packet filters / firewalls which don`t
let unknown traffic pass through

The issues we discovered are:

-          Outlook clients with E2K-mailboxes often hang on startup or while
trying to delete an unread read-notification (?)

-          While hanging we are discovering the clients want to contact
several exchange 5.5 servers in different sites --> running against firewall
--> timeout --> outlook freezes

-          The target ports are 135, 139 (netbios) and 445 (Microsoft-ds)

-          Clients with mailboxes on the old 5.5 server do not have these
kind of problems

So my question is, why do the exchange 2000 clients want to talk to so many
5.5 servers? Is it possible to turn this communication off? Since this
behaviour is restricting the usability of the new clients and we donât want
to open these âunsecureâ ports on the firewall for all clients, I need a
solution soon.

Any comments and hints are welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Christian