RE: AW: RE: AW: RE: memory usage of STORE.exe

  • From: "Shevill, Mark M SITI-ITDSEC4" <Mark.Shevill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 13:34:19 +0200

*       "Why do we have Inconsistent memory utilization by store.exe, mta
and inetinfo (some servers are very high but some servers normal)?"   The
fact of the matter is, memory utilization depends on several factors, the
configuration of the server, user population, etc.  Other items that will
influence the amount of memory processes use are;
*       User base, mailboxes, connectors, etc.
*       What type of users are they, normal, power users, etc.
*       How many databases, size of databases.
*       Server configurations, /3GB switch, RAM, Page file, etc.
This is just a small list of factors that attribute to the amount of memory
the store and other processes use.  I could list several more, but the fact
is, the store process will use what it needs to do its job, no more and no
less.  To determine usage, base line the servers and continue to monitor
over time and compare base lines to actual observed performance.  In my
experience I have seen the store process use over 2 GB without any problems
on certain heavily utilized Exchange 2000 Servers.  But on an average I
would expect to see the store use between 1 GB and 2 GB on any given server.

To draw a conclusion to your problem. I would suggest that you triple the
amount of RAM that you have in your system and probably double the CPU. The
issue that I was thinking of originally with the known problem was due to
CPU utilisation and increasing the Log Stall parameters through the
registry.
Mark Shevill
IMG Messaging Deputy Team Leader
Tel: +44 161 935 7152