RE: AW: Primary accounts

  • From: "Mulnick, Al" <Al.Mulnick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 09:20:24 -0500

If you instead meant primary Active Directory account (vs. primary SMTP
address) then you have a different problem.  In Active Directory/Exchange
2000 the user object is the container for the mail attributes which tells
the client how to find the mail store for that user and holds other
attributes as well.
To change the Windows user object associated with a mail store, you want to
ensure that you have deleted mailbox retention in place with a threshold
greater than 0, disassossicate the user object from the mail store, run the
cleanup, and associate the mailbox with a new user object.

From kb (assuming you've cleaned the attributes off a different user object
or deleted it)b
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;261272>
"To connect the mailbox to another Active Directory user, right-click the
mailbox in Exchange System Manager, and then click Run Cleanup Agent. The
mailbox will appear with a red X next to it, and you can either connect this
mailbox to a different Active Directory user, or permanently delete it. "

  _____