RE: AOL, Yahoo and other servers do not respond to connection attempt

  • From: Tom Kern <tpkern@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 13:17:33 -0500

Are you blocking port 53 tcp on your firewall?

If a dns server recieves a long list in response to a query, it will switch
from 53 udp to 53 tcp since a udp datagram is not big enough to hold the
long list of mx records those domains have.
dns uses both udp and tcp depending on the answer it gets to a query.
thanks