AD question

  • From: "Stephan Barr" <bdtsb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 18:35:42 -0600

Scenario:
A while back I installed an empty domain called bdTechnology.local. The
server no longer exists and DCPROMO nor NTDSUTIL were run to demote the
DC so entries still exist in the schema.   The listing below shows the
result after NTDSUTIL.

C:\Documents and Settings\bdtsb>ntdsutil
ntdsutil: metadata cleanup
metadata cleanup: connections
server connections: connect to server coil
Binding to coil ...
Connected to coil using credentials of locally logged on user
server connections: quit
metadata cleanup: select operation target
select operation target: list domains
Found 3 domain(s)
0 - DC=bdtechnology,DC=org
1 - DC=bdtechnology,DC=local
2 - DC=gsi,DC=bdtechnology,DC=org
select operation target: select domain 1
No current site
Domain - DC=bdtechnology,DC=local
No current server
No current Naming Context
select operation target: quit
metadata cleanup: remove selected domain
DsRemoveDsDomainW error 0x2162(The requested domain could not be deleted
because there exist domain controllers that still host this domain.)
metadata cleanup:

There actually aren't any DC remaining in the domain and the server no
longer exists.   Can't recreate the domain name as it already exists in
the schema.   Any ideas as to removing this DC info so I can
reintroduce?

Thanks.