AD and Exchange on same box

  • From: Tony McCarthy <Tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 15:52:08 +1200

 I've got a situation where I've been asked to put Exchange 5.5 on the same
box as a W2K server running AD as a secondary DC in a child domain.
Personally I think this is a bad idea as I generally like to keep Exchange
on its own box due to public folder replication and all the normal traffic
and general business that goes with an Exchange server. The domain isn't
particularly large and there are less than 100 mailboxes that will need to
be migrated to the W2K AD server. There are about 20 fairly large public
folders though and replication, X400 connectors etc have to traverse about
20 Exchange sites across several countries. I'm curious to hear what other
people think about Exchange and AD on the same box. It's come down to a
costs benefits argument and personally I think it's better to spend a bit
more and have Exchange on its own server. I'll be looking at upgrading to
Exchange 2K before too long also so I guess that would stress the server out
even more.

Regards
Tony