[ExchangeList] Re: AD and Exchange

  • From: "Andrew English" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 16:25:30 -0400

I have been banging my head up against the wall since I attempted to joining R2
as a secondary AD to the primary AD which runs 2003 SE. The R2 got as far as
"Examining Active Directory" and then said the AD Schema was the incorrect
version even though the 2003 SE AD is in Native 2003 mode. And to make it worse
2003 SE only promoted the R2 box as a member of the Domain and not a Domain
controller.

Error 1058, and 1030 have been showing up in the application event logs saying
policy {key} "Windows can not access the gp.ini file"... I have looked at all
the help online and nothing points to this serious issues it's all predated
Windows 2003 Server stuff. Even when I run ntdsutil.exe and "list domains" it
only shows the primary AD 2003 SE it doesn't show the R2 box.

I have not been able to find anything that helps me figure out how to remove
the policy which doesn't exist. I have even tried for argument sake DCPROMO'd a
2003 SE to the AD and even though it transferred the AD stuff it still does not
see it under the AD, and complains about the policy from before still, plus
when I attempt to remove the new 2003 SE I just joined up I get unable to find
"servername.domainname.local" even though I can ping it from CMD.

I basically need to swing AD off Exchange because there has been some issues
regarding Exchange stability were the server has come close to tanking twice.
Instead of risking it tanking for good I thought it would wise to swing AD; if
I had only known that R2 was so problematic I would have not used it, now I am
in a serious bind. :(

I am open to suggestions. Thanks!

Regards,
Andrew