[ExchangeList] Re: 88.blacklist.zap - Anyone know where this blacklist is?

  • From: Danny <nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 17:39:18 -0400

Thanks, Simon - you make some good points about resources and which ones are better for some things. I am not going to argue on differences in opinions.

Back to the subject at hand. I contacted Frontbridge, they told me that it is not their own internal blacklist, and that they are using their "Microsoft might" to be removed from this blacklist.zap. Therefore they cannot remove this clients IP address. The saga continues...

...D

On 10/24/06, Simon Butler < simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I contributed to that thread on Experts Exchange, and have been attempting to find out what I can about this blacklist.

This blacklist.zap appears to be something very new, it has only started to come up in the last week or so. It has taken a little while to find out who the source was. Fortunately someone managed to discover its likely source despite nothing official anywhere else on the internet.

It would appear to be internal blacklist from Frontbridge/Microsoft Exchange Hosted Services, although the exact process to get off the list is currently unclear. There is nothing on the Frontbridge web site about using blacklists, or what criteria or source they are using for the blacklist. At the moment people are having to call their support to get off the list. If that continues then I wouldn't be surprised if something is posted somewhere to get the load of the support lines.
I am trying to find out more so that I can update the question on that site.

As for the accuracy of the information on EE, it does vary on its topic areas. However the Exchange server topic area is frequented by at least three Exchange MVPs, and four or five people who work for Microsoft support in the US.
The site isn't dedicated to Exchange, it covers a large number of IT topic areas, but in the Exchange server topic area we have a very high success rate.

However, it does depend on what you are looking for. If you want howto type guides then it is not for you, and you would be better of looking at msexchange.org, microsoft.com etc. However if you have a very specific issue then it can prove to a good resource.

Simon

--
Simon Butler
MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MVP:Exchange