400% disk utilization!

  • From: "Andrea Coppini" <andreacoppini@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <exchange@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 12:07:48 +0200

I've been using PerfMon for a while today to monitor our Exchange 2k
server.  Every so often, for no apparent reason, %disk time for disk 1
(E:) goes up to 100% and stays there for a good 30 seconds.  Disk 0
(C:,D:) stays low.

I tried doing an Advanced find for some text in all my mailbox, but
%disk time fluctuates around 90%... It never stays steady at 100%.

Also, looking at the statistics under the perfmon graph, I noticed that
it showed 415 as the Maximum...

Any idea what could be causing this?  Here's a few specs:

C,D = single SCSI RAID5 set 3x 10,000rpm 36gb Disks, storing system on
C:, transaction logs on D:
E:  = single SCSI RAID5 set 3x 10,000rpm 36gb disks, storing IS.

1.2gb RAM
Single P3-700 CPU
HP Netserver LC2000r machine.

One concern that I have is that both RAID5 sets are on the same SCSI bus
(we weren't supplied with the necessary cable and split backplane when
we initially installed the server).  Would this affect it?

Regards

Andrea Coppini
+356 79 ANDREA (263732)
andreacoppini@xxxxxxxx

EMPOWER PEOPLE - THE WORLD IN YOUR HAND

iWG (iWORLD GROUP) is a global e-mobile company creating, building and growing
new businesses.  iWG founders are pioneers in creating multi-billion dollar
mobile and Internet businesses in Europe, Asia and the US.

The Global Partners include the shareholders Bank of America, Deutsche Bank,
Hikari Tsushin, McCaw, PaineWebber/UBS, The Dolphins' Trust, Perikles Trust and
the iAA Advisory Network.

www.iWG.info

www.countryprofiler.com/iWG

Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message.  If you
the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to
anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the
sender by reply email.