RE: 2003 Exchange

  • From: "Medeiros, Jose" <jmedeiros@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 13:04:22 -0700

Hi Coneley,

I am assuming that you want to keep the same server name? If so please see
article 822945.;en-us;822945

Howevver in my opinion I would just add the Exchange 2003 server with the new
server name. Once it is up and running make sure you back up the database of
the server you want to replace before moving mailboxes. Move your mail boxes to
the new server ( Off hours ) or by notifying each user one by one as you are
doing this ( Make sure that they are closed out of their Outlook session ),
once the mailbox is moved when they reconnect their local Mapi profile will
automatically be redirected to the server that their mailbox resides on.

Once you completed your migration ( don't forget the public folders ) then it
is a simple matter to remove the previous Exchange 2000 server.;en-us;307917

Good Luck and I hope that it is problem free for you.