[etni] Re: why I'm exhausted

Hi Bari!

We hear you loud and clear, and we know where you're at.

Everything you write about sounds so familiar, We all picture ourselves
"flying" around the school, trying to take care of the same things that you
so vividly describe.

What is most disturbing to me (of the list you mention) is the issue of the
modular matkonot.  According to the Ministry we must allow students to take
and retake any module they please.  This creates so many logistical problems
as every pupil has his/her own agenda.

I have many pupils taking tests at two different levels (just to see what is
more worthwhile for them), which means 5 modules and 5 matkonot (divided up
into winter and summer).
I have pupils retaking tests, some even after having received a grade of 90+
on the previous try.  When I ask why, they answer:  "What do I have to
lose"?  The only person who has something to lose is me, having to rethink
their "tziyun shenati", (as they have participated in class) and grade yet
another exam.  When you multiply this kind of situation by 40 (and for some
teachers even more), the scenario becomes surrealistic.

When you add to all this- oral presentations for projects, mock oral bagrut
tests and the  oral test itself , both as a tester and for your own
students, you come up with one very hassled English teacher.

I feel that my efforts during the year have gone into sorting out and
overcoming these issues.  I feel like I'm constantly on the "Bagrut track"
(winter and summer) and never have a chance to get off in order to
contemplate pedagogical matters of substance.  English teaching has taken a
back seat, while a new profession, "test organizing" seems to be at the
wheel.

You're not alone, Bari!

Sara