[etni] the Bagrut exam problem

  • From: Ruth Sheffer <ruti044@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 15:49:43 +0200

I would like to second what Mordechai has said. I was contemplating writing to
the list
after my tenth grade English speaker son came home with a matconet grade of 65
on
module E. This is a kid who speaks only English at home, reads Coleridge and
Alice in
Wonderland and LOrd of the Flies in unsimplified English and has translated
plays from
English into Hebrew for his Theatre Bagrut class. The Bagrut test has questions
which
many native English speakers including teachers admit that they can't answer
,and
frequently multiple choice questions have more than one possible correct
answer. My
son's  English teacher (the English speakers' class) admitted she didn't think
the the test
reflected their knowledge and that she herself was at a loss to know some of
the correct
answers. What is going on here?? Once upon a time we knew what we were trying
to do.
but now many of us veteran teachers feel at a loss!!
Ruth