[etni] penalty for cheating

  • From: Sharon Tzur <sharontzu5@xxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 13:35:29 +0300

Dear Etniers:

I'd be interested in hearing how other teachers feel about incidents where
students clearly cheated on the project. I read the letter to the list about
an incident where teachers testing discovered that some of the projects that
they saw on the day of oral testing were photocopies of projects that their
own students had done at their "home" school - the writer of the letter
wrote that the students were not penalized in the oral exam, and this,
despite the fact that they admitted that they had simply scanned and brought
in other student's work.

It seems to me that the students should have been penalized. In fact, I
think they should have gotten zero points for the project part of the exam.
Why should they be rewarded for having cheated. Students who cheat on the
written exam get a zero - why should the oral bagrut be any different?