[etni] number of kids being with the dispensation of oral testing

  • From: "Aviva Shapiro" <alshapirose@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 16:54:36 +0300 (Arabic Standard Time)

First to Bari.. Your days sound like mine.. I have 31 kids being tested
orally on different modules .(as the coordinator not their teacher,- only
some are mine) I was astounded to see this number. It seems that now that
English is considered "Rave Melel" (Wordy???) the guidance counselors
interpret this as an oral test.. I myself find the whole thing very
confusing and don't think all these kids need oral exams but they refuse to
give it up. Some really need it but certainly not all. It seems to me that
the teacher of the pupils who know them should have some say in if the kids
need certain dispensations. For instance if a student's handwriting is
legible then why have him tape his answers?? In this dispensation I do step
in and   many kids decide not to use it. Especially in the lower modules...

And then there are those who listen to a taped version. This is fine but
some kids can't manage a tape recorder only because their teacher never let
them practice.. From 9th grade on I have kids using tapes to listen to
unseens. YES it means more work for me. (again more work ,no more pay!!) but
at least by the bagrut.. they know what to do.. I have a teacher who let a
girl use a tape for the mock.for the first time. Since , unfortunately the
teacher was as technologically inept as the pupil , the test was never
done!!!

So what am I saying.. YOU ARE RIGHT.. We have tons of work apart from simply
walking into class to teach.. All these problems with dispensations need to
be cleared up and someone needs to clarify what the kids really need and how
to give it them fairly. In my opinion the number of oral tests is inflated
due to a great deal of misunderstanding..

The day of the bagrut with all the oral testing will leave NO English
teachers available for anything else. My teachers will all be testing
non-stop.. The only good thing I've seen is that the test will begin earlier
this year at 12:30... Thanks to whoever made this decision.

And last but not least..I feel (probably plenty of others do too)..that we
are from yud on always teaching towards the bagrut test. Now that the kids
can start taking it in yud and with the school administration pushing for us
to start earlier (and therefore finish earlier - thus saving money)  We will
always have somebody taking some module for the bagrut..

Our entire yud aleph class from 3 to 5 points will begin this summer. Plus
one yud class, and so the race begins.. We are always teaching for bagrut
from yud onwards.. I try really hard not to be teaching only for module, C,
A, E ,G, etc.. but the kids want practice... Book reports, projects.. poetry
.. , ??? I have time, and do them but the pupils have to be pushed and
pulled.. Is this poem for module C, they ask!!! or D?? Urgg...NO (I smile
sweetly)  IT is for English ,, it is for your soul!!!!

So... we go on.. working around the clock..  A week until 'vacation'...
Maybe a few days without checking etc..  Well see you at ETAI...

Aviva