[etni] no more concessions please

  • From: Sandra Yosef-Hassidim <hassidim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 23:57:18 -0700 (PDT)

I just hope we are not going to make any additional concessions. I hope the
compromise Judy proposed to the ministry will be our last offer. This job has
become physically and mentally abusive. We are risking our health and we are
putting our families under tremendous pressure. In order for me to be able to
finish the mana, I need my partner to leave his job early, I need a housekeeper
once a week, a summercamp for the kids ,babysitters in the afternoon and ,on
top of that, I find myself ordering food every other day because there is no
way I can take proper care of family meals. So what's really left of "the big
money" anyway???? I become a very unpleasant person to be around, which is
totally unfair to my kids who don't understand. My husband has learnt to live
with it... The physical damage I might be causing myself gets me really
worried: headaches, lower backaches ,shoulder/neck pain and dry eyes are my
dues during the entire period of
 marking-because we have no choice but sitting stiff behind that computer for
hours-no time for getting up and stretching our bodies. And I haven't even
mentioned the mental stress we suffer for worrying about making mistakes (which
we know are inevitable when working at this pace),  harming the students by
marking too rigidly or for having to compromise professionally by marking too
leniently. It takes weeks to get "back to yourself". Knowing that you can't
possibly deliver a good job, makes you feel really bad. Because we are
professionals. It is insane and I am really only doing it because I have to
make up for the lousy salary they're paying us at our regular teaching job.
So no further concessions, please!!!
Sandra