[etni] more on Dovrat

  • From: laurie@xxxxxxxx
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 05:51:21 -0700

 Vera's message  on the Dovrat Commission has spurred me to say aloud what
I've been thinking to myself for quite some time. First, I'm in total
agreement with what she wrote. I can add that the only "working" space at my
school is the round table in the teachers' room, which is not at all a
working environment. There are no computers available to us; the school
computer room is for the pupils and there aren't any computers in the
teachers' room. Luckily, I live a 2 minute walk from home and that's where I
go during my "free hours"  and after school to work. Like Vera commented,
there's no place for my professional library either, without which, I'm
lost.Perhaps Mr. Dovrat has a building budget to provide us all with
suitablework space. Second, boarding schools have different needs and
schedules. I'm wondering if any thought was given to this. I'm already
teaching "evening" school some days to make up for time lost when the pupils
travel home every other weekend. They leave on Thurs. at 2 and return about
the same time on Sun. Classes are scheduled till dinner time and sometimes
even later, 3 times a week. And just in case Mr. Dovrat thinks I don't work
hard enough or long enough hours, I do meet with kids when needed and also
with parents, sometimes on my "free" day to accomodate everyone's needs. I
can't imagine how I would function with more hours tagged onto my teaching
schedule. Third, the idea raised to write a joint petition is a good one
although I'm not convinced anyone will truly "listen". But we must make
ourselves heard. I'm willing to work on that. The teachers unions are both
involved in this, too and I believe we should also protest through them.(
When I was recently at the Irgun to deal with the NBA and Bagrut, we were
told that the "gmul" issue was on hold, because of the Dovrat Commission
talks.) Quite frankly, I'm wearing thin. I wish I could be more optimisitc
about this change, but I'm not. Why are teachers NEVER asked what they feel
and think and know from the field? Laurie