[etni] Re: mnemonics and native speakers

  • From: Barry Silverberg <barisil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: schenker.e@xxxxxxxxx, etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 12:29:59 +0200

Our tribal instincts about pronunciation are very strong.

I painfully recall how, on the Pesach of my first grade, I was furious at my
Zayda

for reading " Venosson Lonnu ess hatoyra" rather than the modern Hebrew
version that I had spent

the year learning in dayschool..

Unfortunately, they didn't slap me silly and it only got worse as I got
older.

I still wonder why people who speak Modern Hebrew and pray Modern Hebrew
still say Addonoy and

not Addonai.  Maybe it's just a matter of Addenoids.

PS  It took me 2 minutes and a peek into the spell check to spell
pronunciation.

Do I have it right?

Barry S