[etni] keeping things in perspective

  • From: "laurie ornstein" <laurenmadeline@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ask_Etni <ask@xxxxxxxx>, etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 11:58:12 +0300

Hi All,

  One more thought as we wrap up the school year.

  I worked at ORT Bir Hadaj School this week. Their principal related to me
that this week they were "in the dark" - no electricity. There was no fuel
left to work the generator. The next day they "borrowed" some from the
elementary school next door.

  If all goes as planned, the pupils and teachers will move into a lovely
new building in the fall. Electricity? Road?....

  For your information, Bir Hadaj is a recognized village and part of Abu
Basma Regional Council. However, they still do not have the infrastructure
we all take for granted - no roads, no public transportation, no proper
sewage system, no electricity, etc. Nor are they allowed to build permanent
homes. Some pupils and teachers travel long and hard to reach school. Bir
Hadaj is across the fields from Kibbutz Revivim.

Laurie