[etni] ideas for demo translation lesson...

  • From: sara g <saragabai@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ETNI list <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 13:35:11 +0300

to all translation teachers -

yesterday i did my PR talk for the 10th grade, telling them why
translation is such a wonderful subject to study next year.
usually that is enough, but this year we are thinking of having a
"demo" lesson for the kids who are interested. among other things,
that might minimize the amount of kids who start and drop out in the
first 2 or 3 weeks.

so i am looking for a WOW lesson (45 min) to do with them, that does
not need any background but will show them what the program is about.
a lot of very interesting things i do in the 11th grade - like the Ben
and Jerry napkin, comparing the three translations of "Narnia" - need
more background than they have.
the list of sentences at the beginning of Two-Way -Traffic, which is
what i do in the first lesson, usually,  is a little out of date (we
have 7-11s in israel..).

so - does anyone have any ideas? if you have ever done a lesson like
this, what did you do?

   and of course, good luck to all in the english bagrut next week!!!
                     sara g

--
sara g in israel
sarag@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx