[etni] Re: grammar question

Hi Bari,
I think (or at least I hope) no one was suggesting that you're
unfamiliar with grammar!

My response to you was broad-based because (as I've explained), I wanted to
include a  peripheral issue that has come up many times in my classroom --
i.e., the existence of 2 kinds of accepted English, so to speak : "people's'
English (& that includes educated people) and grammarians' English. (I refer
to it that way because I got chewed out on this forum for calling it formal
or written!)
That's why I "went public", though I must admit that I hesitated because I
know that one's intent can be misunderstood (which can lead to an unpleasant
feeling when fingers are pointed at you)!  A case in point: In reviewing
what I've said, I do not find the word "mistake" applied to the structure
you asked about, though I did call it informal.

In any case, I give you credit for taking the risk and posting on ETNI ; we
can all benefit when we talk to each other (I certainly have), as long as we
refrain from using
an antagonistic tone.

BTW, I'll be happy to stand corrected if it can be proved that it's wrong to
use the future tense or the modal (whatever one prefers to call "will"!) in
the result clause of the sentence in question.  I
also stated (as you did) that the use of the imperative needn't affect the
result clause, but I have yet to be convinced that "for" is a temporal when
it's not followed by a time phrase.  Which online source suggested this?
Not all of them are equally reliable, but I really want to know if I'm
mistaken.  (And yes, I'm not afraid for you to say so publicly, as long as
others can gain something from it!)

Batya