[etni] grade discrepancies

  • From: Renee Wahl <renew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 10:24:34 +0300

Hi,
The phenomenon mentioned in several recent emails, whereby there are large
discrepancies between the test grades and the magen grades, is a mystery that I
have partially solved for myself.
We are instructed to include various other aspects of pupils' work into our
magen grades besides test results.  30% of our magen grades are supposed to
reflect literature, extensive reading and projects.  For my classes,  this
means that when figuring their magen grade for E, 30% of their magen is their
project grade.  Since my students usually do a great job on this, their even
sometimes less successful test scores have less of an impact on their gradess.
When figuring their magen for F, I include 30% for literature and for their G
grades 30% represents their extensive reading tasks.  It's no wonder then, that
even if they don't do that well on their unseens or even their Bagrut, there
will be a discrepancy between their Bagrut scores and their magen.  And if you
ask me, this is absolutely justified and justifiable.

Renee Wahl