[etni] Re: common errors (or a lesson in etymology)

  • From: "remanuel" <remanuel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <judiavi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 23:32:45 +0200

Shavua Tov
I'm not sure that I can answer your question, but I do know that the German
"nervos" (with two dots/umlaut over the 'o') has that meaning of irritable.
This might be in addition to the meaning of apprehensive, I'm not sure. All
this brings us to another common error:
if a kid is nervous before an exam, he's not "atzbani" - "hu mitragesh", and
that gets translated "he's excited" which in English is a feeling one has
before something positive, certainly not before an exam.
Talk about food for thought!
But now it's time to think about food - specifically cheese cake, 'blintzes'
etc. etc.
Chag Sameach
Rachelle