[etni] avivabagrut discrepencies

  • From: Lynn Choiness <lych2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 17:59:29 +0000 (GMT)

I am the second teacher at Aviva's school who is in the same boat as her. Today
we have had to hurriedly arrange an embarrassing and ultimately insulting
meeting with those poor, unsuspecting 11th. grade pupils who are being
threatened with a reduction in their magen marks on module G.  Having to
explain the "rationale" behind this decision to them just brought it home to me
how absurd and unfair this decision is. We also have had to rush them into
signing up to retake G in the winter just in case the appeal is not accepted.
Rubbing further salt into the wound we realised today that we are just
marginally over the permitted discrepency of 25 points (our average is 25.9)!
One would have thought that as a gesture the ministry would have allowed a
little leeway at least for the first year of the new Bagrut!

I acted in good faith when i gave (or they earned, more rightly, ) these pupils
their magen grades for which they worked very hard.  We were misled about the
level of the exam (easy practice papers) and ignored when we (the English
teacher community) complained about it.  Even the response of Judy Steiner
today to my colleague was not very encouraging and did not offer (as yet) any
signs of support in this very serious situation.

I sincerely feel that we are being used as scapegoats for mistakes made by
others in the higher realms of the education ministry and this makes me at once
angry and quite depressed.

lynn