[etni] an article worth reading

  • From: Lev Abramov <lev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ETNI <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 21:43:28 +0200

Worth your attention:

"Much of the growing policy interest in teaching and teacher development
was provoked by /What Matters Most/, the 1996 report of The National
Commission on Teaching & America's Future. Among other findings, the
Commission demonstrated that investments in teacher knowledge and skills
net greater increases in student achievement than other uses of an
education dollar."
 (Target Time Toward Teachers, by Linda Darling-Hammond./ Journal of
Staff Development/, Spring 1999 (Vol. 20, No. 2)

To read the whole article:
http://www.nsdc.org/library/publications/jsd/darling202.cfm

I wonder what Dovrat knows that The American National Commission on
Teaching does not.

I also wonder how this compares to what Itzhak Levy, the then Minister
of Ed., wrote in 1997 about "gmul hishtalmut": It is time to stop paying
teachers for the time they spend taking all these courses - there are
many other, much better uses for this money.

Lev