[etni] To elementary school teachers and tutors

  • From: Hadas Y <hadassiyo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 12:50:06 -0700 (PDT)

Dear ETNIers,

I am a private tutor in English. I have a student who is very weak in English.
I am currently working with him mainly through "Ready, Steady, Read", "Apples
and Zebras" and "Mr. A" (I am not a fan of "Mr. A" but I am trying to make the
best of it since the school had asked him to purchase the book). I want my
student to be ready for the fifth grade. I would appreciate your advise on the
following:

1. What is the vocabulary expected from 5th graders at the beginning of the
year?

2. Which book would be advisable for use in the course of private lessons after
"Ready, Steady, Read" in order to continue to reinforce and develop the reading
and the reading comprehension?

3. I like to work with the book series "We Love Grammar" (by Orly Weiner and
Judy Shmilovitch). I have looked at several book lists for next year, and I
noticed that most of the schools chose for grammar for the fifth grade the book
"Grammar Helper 1" by Batya Elazar and Ronit Broder. Which of the two books do
you prefer? (Other suggestions would also be welcome).

4.At what point of time is it advisable to begin working with my student on
listening comprehension and writing (paragraphs, compositions, etc.) I would
like to point out that this student was a total non-reader before I had begun
working with him, he discourages easily and needs constant encouragement. Thus,
while I wish to bring him to the point of 5th grade (and more), I also believe
it is more important not to discourage him with tasks that will be too hard for
him.

Your advice would be appreciated,

With thanks,
Hadas