[etni] Re: Three cheers for the NBA (in this corner)

  • From: Steve Hellmann <steveh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tsuravi@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 06:06:07 +0300

I have always felt that David Lloyd and his loyal band have given us the
English teachers a golden opportunity to exchange ideas suggestions
experiences etc. Why do I feel that it is davka in the realm of ideas that
we so often fall short?  The latest exchange between Avi Tzur and Ronald
Green can only serve to make readers quake in their boots at the thought of
becoming one of  the "4,5 or is it 6 gripers."

I have no problem with vigorous debate and strong disagreement but when the
tone becomes abusive I fear that we all lose out. On the one hand I am
thankful that Avi does not hide behind a mantle of inspectors' neutrality. I
am always curious as to what the different inspectors think of some of the
issues under discussion. On the other hand we are all in some way under the
authority of the Education ministry. When criticism of such a harsh nature
comes from you Avi I feel you are stifling debate in a way that is not in
the spirit of Etni. This does not make for a " Chag Sameach"

Steve Hellmann

Avi wrote:

I read Ronald Green's pretty piece of writing "No amount of carrots, sticks,

goodies or even good will can revive something that is comatose." and apart
from feeling green (not with envy) but out of rage I stop to ask myself on
what HE is basing his argument on. Is it from following ETNI and the same
4,5 or is it 6 gripers who never tire to say the same thing over and again
and who think they have a following from here all the way to ..... well
heaven knows. Yes, Ronald and others. The NBA is working. Why don't you talk

to the pupils as well as to the teachers but do so in the schools where the
NBA is being implemented properly. It is refreshing to hear the kids and yes

I hear many more teachers who are in favor of rather than against. You may
ask where are they. Well unfortunately the majority are a quiet group of
dedicated people/teachers doing the job and getting on with it. They are the

ones who gave the NBA a chance and even though there may be obstacles are
working out the problems. Please don't for a single second feel or say that
Avi says I/we are not dedicated teachers. You are and I am sure you work
very hard. Life would be easier for you if you were more accepting, if you
put forward your differences and sort them out IN LIGHT OF THE NBA which is
mandatory if you like it or not. With that said (on my behalf and not as an
inspector or from the inspectorate so when you let out at what I have
written please do so with Avi the teacher, the educator.

Wishing us all the very best for the up-coming Bagrut exam. Three cheers for

the NBA.
Avi

#########
This Mail Was Scanned by 012.net Anti Virus Service - Powered by TrendMicro
Interscan