[etni] Re: Testing Question Formation

  • From: "Adele Raemer and Laurie Levy" <raemer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <avrahamroos@xxxxxxxxxx>, <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 08:35:33 +0200

Avram wrote:
 Let's try that one. Here is a paragraph taken from Eric Cohen's Module D
> Practice Papers (fourth paper, page 14, lines 6-9):

I missed your point.... do you think it's a good idea or a bad one?

At WORST, I think it is an authentic way to demonstrate control of question
form. Would you rather return to the unauthentic, and highly
disproportionate (in as much as you are putting SO much more importance on
control of question forms - one of the most difficult things to do in
English... orally- with no opportunity to step back and correct yourself)
50% of the former oral exam?

Personally, I would not object to role plays the way they were done BEFORE
the emphasis was put on question form... it demanded the learners to
communicate, and was fun. The emphasis would HAVE to be on communicability,
rather than grammatical accuracy - especially for the lower levels.  But
that is what I like about the project work: it has them communicating
something that they have ownership over (mush more so than the role plays).
I believe that, the project-testing has positive backwash on the ways we
teach. But that necessitates that everyone learn how to do projects
properly, which means that everyone must do an NBA course, or a similar
project-training course.

In addition, in general, I also think that the grading scale for 4 should be
different than for 5 pointers. But that issue is a different kettle of fish.

Adele