[etni] Teacher vs Teacher

  • From: Louise - <lu_mmm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 08:01:35 -0400

Dear All,

Again, I would like to stress that either way we look at our school life,
whether or not we get gmulim, stop teaching in April, have an easier class or
discipline problems...either way we (ie none of us) are not earning a proper
wage. We should not be "hen picking" these items....for me (anyway) it doesnt
matter. My salary still stinks and I am uncertain if I can afford to continue
in this profession.

So, let me make some other suggestions.

1. English teachers should unite and select 1-2 individuals who are willing
(and have the time) to represent us in our Unions. We should have our own
"organization" with local "chapters" each one organizing within its own area.
It all sounds rather exhausting though to implement but it may be our only hope
for swifter action.

2. In a previous posting I mentioned a letter writing campaign. I havent
received many letters back so far. Its ok if you dont want to do it, but the
offer still stands.

3. Continue as is.

Any other ideas?

Other points I want to make:

a. Regarding purchasing books - some schools have a library of text books from
which the kids borrow and use for the year and return. It was that way when I
grew up also. I think its a wonderful idea, thereby reducing the financial
burden on the families. I have students who cant afford to buy their books.

b. Regarding high school teachers who stop teaching early -- I personally am
mystified at this and just "don't get it." As far as I know, it is nothing we
want but is thrusted on us. I was told that its not the teacher who stops
teaching, but it is the students who stop coming and it is supported by the
powers that be. This then gives us basically a 6 month teaching schedule -
ridiculous!

Thats all for now.

Louise

Lauren found her dream laptop. Find the PC that?s right for you.