[etni] Subject: grammar question

From: Bari Nirenberg <bnirenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 23:13:41 +0200
Subject: [etni] grammar question

One of the "disadvantages" of teaching gifted students is that they're
really good at coming up with questions that you don't know how to answer.
 My 9th graders read The Monkey's Paw and this sentence appeared in the
story:
"If you keep it, don't blame me for what happens."

So one of my students asked me why the verb "happen" is in the present tense
here, when clearly it is what will happen in the future.  I know the
sentence is correct because my native-speaker ear tells me it is (and
because it was in the story...), but I have no idea why.  Can anyone explain
this to me so that I can give him an answer?
Bari

My answer is- it has to do with conditionals.
It is a zero conditional, so the first and the second part are in the pr sim
tense.
Regards,

Hagit Lahav
School of Arts, Tel Aviv