[etni] Re: Session with Judy Steiner in Jerusalem

  • From: "Elen Gefen" <elen_g@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 07:17:43 +0200

Dear Etniers
Rivka L wrote the following about Judy Steiner's response to the low
achievements of native speakers.
"Now that I have time to breathe, I'll give you Judy's answer. According to
her, the reading comprehension part of the Bagrut is meant to test reading
comprehension rather than English. Just as in the United States or England,
not all native speakers pass reading comprehension tests, even though they
are totally fluent in English, so too here, our native speaker students may
know the language yet fail the test because they don't have the strategies
necessary to cope with reading comprehension tests. The same, of course,
happens with Israelis taking reading comprehension exams - many of them fail
despite being native Hebrew speakers."

While we all know  from the reality, it was the first time I had ever seen
it said by the ministry  in black and white. In other words, anyone who
still believes we're preparing students for a test of English proficiency,
has it all wrong.
I'm rather overwhelmed by the task at hand which is a consequence of this
priority.
We're supposed to take non-native English speakers , teach them the English
language,  teach them how to read in English (because many didn't learn that
in elementary), teach them reading comprehension skills and stragegies (that
many haven't yet learnaed in Hebrew) and expect them hocus pocus to be able
to deal with all the discreet and inferential questions the bagrut throws at
them, and to be able to express themselves in perfect written English as
well.  Why can't reading comprehension be the first priority goal for the
students in HEBREW, and let us worry first and foremost about ENGLISH
LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY???

Ellen Gefen
Shaar Hanegev