[etni] Re: Question about accomodations

  • From: michele ben <benfam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ETNI Discussion List <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 17:51:06 +0200

Hi List and Batya,
Batya, thanks for answering my question but I would like to
post two other off-list answers to my question that I
recieved.  These answers are from Judy Kramer, the person in
charge of the testing, and from Arona Gavryahu, the person
in charge of LD in English.  Both their answers slightly
contradict yours.  I think that it is important for
everyone, including those who do not read ETNI, to know
these things in an as unambiguous manner as possible.
Judy Kramer writes:
Dear Michele,
 This certainly exists in English, and is a dispensation for
students who have trouble reading English. Inthe bagrut exam
itself, a recorded version of the test is sent to the school
on request, and the student listens to it on his own
walkman, and is seated in a separate room. The school has to
test the student in this way consistently, from the time he
is given the dispensation. Reading the test out to the
student is not a recognised dispensation, and does not
prepare the student for what he will have to do in the
bagurt exam.
 All the best,
 Judy Kramer
National Coordinator

It is completely clear from Judy's response that the
accomodation of "Hakra'at She'elon" on the bagrut test  in
English is done ONLY with a tape recorder and NOT with a
live person reading the form to the kid.

Arona writes:
Hakrat Sheelon is supposed to be a tape unless there is a
specific and good
reason that the student caonnot cope with the tape. THE
school should be
making tapes for her so that she can practice but there is
no law that
enforces that . Can she use a tape, is there any reason why
she cant? IT is
a very good skill to develop becasue later on threre is no
such thing as a
person reader and it hleps for the student to be more
independent.

This answer concurs with the previous one that on the bagrut
test "Hakra'at She'elon" is done with a tape, but goes on to
stipulate that an exemption from using a tape recorder and
getting a live body to read the form is a separate
accommodation and must be specifically outlined on the
diagnostic test and approved of by the school (as must be
done with all accommodations.)

Thank-you for your responses and I hope that this
information is helpful to others.

Michele