[etni] Re: Question about accomodations

  • From: Yisrael and Batya Medad <ybmedad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sarag <sarag@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, benfam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,ETNI Discussion List <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 08:26:25 +0200

Previous to NBA the 3 point could use any dictionary.  Personally I think
all students should be encouraged to use a full, unrestricted, variety of
paper dictionaries.  Passport, the white, the Zilberman? or whatever should
be required from the 7th grade.  Even if the black Oxford remains the
"exclusive" for 4/5 points, it shouldn't  be required until the 11th
grade.  Do you put your toddlers in adult-sized shoes?  First get the
students to feel comfortable with dictionary use; then, when they can't
find the word they need in Passport, they will willingly open the others,
even the black one.

Speaking from experience as a teacher of weak, dictionary-phobic students.

Batya