[etni] Projects to be done in Yud Beth - more meaningful

  • From: <judyastary@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 11:26:54 -0700 (PDT)

I totally agree with Maxine that doing the project in Yud Beth is far more
meaningful. This year we took an umbrella topic in Yud Beth - connected to army
recruitment. A wide variety of subject matter resulted from this, including:
The importance of preliminary army tests in securing a good position in the army
Recruitment phobia
Alice Miller and her fight for female equality - the aftermath
Why Circassian girls do not serve in the army
The phenomenon of refusing orders in the army
and many other thought-provoking subjects.
The trigger movie we showed was actually: A few Good Men with Demi Moore and
Tom Cruise, a brilliant, riveting movie, thoroughly worth showing.
Most of my students had done a project in Yud Aleph but were still keen to do
another one in Yud beth, feeling dissatified with the previous one. The
maturity, both intellectual and linguistic, which they had achieved by Yud beth
was evident in their efforts. Personally, I do not think projects done in Yud
should be presented in a Yud beth Bagrut. I tested at a school where some
pupils presented Yud work and it was clear that they had little recollection of
it - not to mention the fact that they did not even have the project with them.
I concur that project testing is far superior to those stupid cue cards. Let's
be grateful for the good things we have!
Judy A
http://mail.yahoo.com