[etni] Pitzul

  • From: Barry Silverberg <barisil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 10:02:39 +0200

Dear ETNI persons,  about a month ago, teachers enquired about something called
'gmool pitzul.'
 I immediately penned an answer which immediately got lost again.  When i did
not appear, I painsteakingly wrote another one.

It also got lost.  Here is the third time, it didn't get lost but  now my car
keys don't work.

Anyway, I thougt at the time that it was pretty optimistic uising terms like
'gmool Pitzul' when some people are still writing to ask what HOTS are.   I'm
sure there

are many who wouldn't know what a Gmul Pitzul was
if it bit them on the Glutinous Maximus.  ( a famous Roman general with celiac).

    Though it looks incredibly vulgar ( if you know some Yiddish),  a 'pitzul'
in Yiddish is just a small object or quantity, like a pittance.

as in the following song:

Itsl pitsl, veyst nish vi, men darf oyfshteyn in der fri,

 :×?×?צ×? פּ×?צ×?, װײס×? × ×?ש×? ×°×?, ×?×¢×? ×?×?ַרף
×?ױפֿש×?ײ×? ×?×?×? ×?ער פֿר×?

 I'll BCC this to some Winnipeg Peretz Shul graduates, as it's beyond me.**

The 'le ending on a Yiddish word means the diminutive; something small and
cute, like a zemmerle (little song),   a meidle (lettle girl),   a dreidle (
little top), a kneidle ( a small knei)  and a bicycle.    So the above song,
I think it means --

                        Little Itsik, G'd knows why, but these weird dudes just
fried your oysters..

Those of you who were expecting vulgarity were thinking of 'petzl' as in the
classic novel from the '50's "Call it Sleep."  There's a lot more about this

on the internet, but I have my limits ( surprise) and I 'm not giving you the
link.

Why anyone deserves a 'gmul' for this is beyond me (also  **    .), but it
certanly can't amount to  much.

/Berrele Silverberg