[etni] Obama Becomes Japan’s English Teacher

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 07:51:22 +0200

Obama Becomes Japan’s English Teacher
The New York Times - October 11, 2009

TOKYO — When Utako Sakai was changing the background music in her beauty
parlor recently, she did not opt for the classical piano pieces she usually
chose.

Instead, she picked her favorite CD: “President Obama’s Inaugural Address,”
released by Asahi Press, a Japanese publisher of language books. She says
the speech lifts her spirits and helps her to learn English all at once.

“All our customers love it,” said Ms. Sakai, who is based in Ayase City, in
Kanagawa Prefecture, outside Tokyo.

The speech CD and its accompanying book have been a resounding success,
selling 200,000 copies since its release in January. A compilation of
President Barack Obama’s speeches has done even better, selling half a
million copies since November, solidifying his role as Japan’s English
teacher.

Publishers have since flooded the market with over a dozen language-learning
titles, including “Speech Training: Learning to Deliver English Speech,
Obama Style”; “Learn English Grammar From Obama”; and “Yes, I Can With
Obama: 40 Magical English Phrases From Presidential E-mails.”

(To read the whole article, go to -
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/12/business/global/12iht-speech.html?_r=1&emc=eta1

)