[etni] New Real Words

  • From: Barry Silverberg <barisil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 12:49:39 +0200

Hello ETNI!  Long time no see.
With the new non -Jewish year approaching, us English teachers should give
ourselves an update and glom some of the new words that are entering the
language this year.

Wanna come over for some turducken?  I'll let you blow my vuvuzela.  I hope you
don't defriend me over this letter!

These are real, new words, not from any urban or slang dictionary.  see them
all at --

http://newsfeed.time.com/new-words-in-the-ode/

By the way, a couple'a months ago I came across the new word lyable (or maybe
lie-able or ly-able).  I taught it to my class as the word of the day.

It meant material that was not true, but you believe it because it comes from a
source usually relyable.

Anyway, I tried looking for it just now, but I can't find it anywhere.

Did I just dream all this up?

Scary!

Scared to click?  OK!  I'll paste the list in.

August 19, 2010
New Words in the ODE
chill pill a notional pill taken to make someone calm
down
chillax calm down and relax
turducken a roast dish consisting of a chicken inside a duck inside a turkey
bargainous costing less than is usual or than might be expected; cheap or
relatively cheap
staycation holiday spent in one's home country
fussbudget a fussy person
vuvuzela long horn blown by fans at soccer matches
national treasure someone/thing regarded as emblematic of a
nation's cultural heritage
buzzkill a person or thing that has a depressing or dispiriting effect
social media websites and applications used for social networking
microblogging the posting of very short entries on a blog
netbook small light laptop
dictionary attack an attempt to gain illicit access to a computer system by
using a very large set of words to generate potential passwords
paywall an arrangement whereby access is restricted to users who have paid to
subscribe to a website
freemium a business model, especially on the Internet, whereby basic services
are provided free of charge while more advanced features must be paid for
automagically automatically and in a way that seems ingenious, inexplicable, or
magical
carbon capture and storage the process of trapping and storing carbon dioxide
produced by burning fossil fuels
geoengineering manipulation of environmental processeses in an attempt to
counteract the effects of global warming
toxic debt debt which has a high risk of default
deleveraging the process or practice of reducing the level of one's debt by
rapidly selling one's assets
overleveraged having taken on too much debt
quantitative easing the introduction of new money into the money supply by a
central bank
exit strategy a pre-planned means of extricating oneself from a situation
overthink think about (something) too much or for too long
catastrophizing view or present a situation as considerably worse than it
actually is
soft skills personal attributes that enable someone to interact effectively and
harmoniously with other people
matchy-matchy excessively colour-coordinated
LBD little black dress
frenemy a person with whom one is friendly despite a fundamental dislike or
rivalry
cheeseball lacking taste, style, or originality
cool hunter a person whose job it is to make observations or predictions about
new styles and trends
hikikomori the abnormal avoidance of social contact, typically by adolescent
males (in Japan)
steampunk a genre of science fiction that typically features steam-powered
machinery rather than advance technology
tweetup a meeting organized by means of posts on Twitter
bromance a close but non-sexual relationship between two men
wardrobe malfunction an instance of a person accidentally exposing an intimate
part of their body as a result of an article of clothing slipping out of
position
defriend another term for unfriend (remove someone from a list of friends or
contacts on a social networking site)
Interweb the Internet
hater negative person

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/new-words-in-the-ode/#ixzz1gVLlzUsi