[etni] More Educational Movies

  • From: David Cactus <davidcactus01@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 09:05:43 +0200

Shalom,

I would like to contribute a list of the movies I sometimes use to
teach with. They are:

1. Boycott- This movie tells the story of the 1955-56 Montgomery Bus
Boycott which kick started the civil rights movement in the U.S.. The
whole story began when Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat to a
white man in Dec 1955. Dr. Martin Luther King was a young unknown
minister at the time but he was elected to represent the Montgomery
Improvement Association because no one else wanted the job.

2. Glory Road- This movie tells the story of the 1966 University of
Texas at El Paso Miners. They were the first integrated basketball
team to win the national championship at the college level. My
students had tears in their eyes at the end and were actually rooting
for the Miners as if they were at a real game!

3. Remember the Titans- This movie was the first movie made by the
producers of Glory Road. This movie tells the story of the a 1970
Virginia high school team which was brought together as a result
of forced busing. The federal courts at the time ordered that busing
black students into previous white schools and vice versa was
necessary to bring about equality in the public high schools.
Denzel Washington gives a stellar performance as the Coach Boone, the
first black coach of the team.

4. School Ties- This was the first movie made by Matt Damon, Brendon
Fraser and Ben Aflek. This is not a true story , but focuses on the
issue of anti-semitism in the U.S. in the 1950's.  David Green who is
played by Brendon Fraser, is a Jew brought into a Catholic prep school
to help St. Mathew's beat their rivals at St. Luke's.
In the story David must hide his identity and even symbolically hides
his Star of David.
Eventually the whole truth is revealed in a cheating scandal in which
David is falsely accused by his anti- semitic classmates.

There are more but these are my favorites.

All the best,
David Curiel
Eshel Hanasi