[etni] Laurie's post on getting around the school grade

  • From: "David R. Herz" <drh16@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 11:11:04 +0200

Unfortunately, what our system has told students is that what matters is the
Bagrut.  They are logical and will do what they can to minimize the work to
get the result they want.  If instead our focus were on inspiring students
to love learning, they would be in our classes of their own accord for the
sheer joy of learning, or not, as they choose.  Surprisingly, most would
choose it.  To tweak the test by returning literature or some other segment
won't do it.  They have been oriented to an outside measure instead of their
own natural love for learning.  It is our duty as teachers to build on that
love instead of trying to force our own agenda into their heads.  We have
been forcing our agenda too well, and you can see the result.

I actually had quite a bit of literature in my eleventh grade four point
class this year.  It was mostly poetry, a few songs and a handful of
children's books.  In the end, because too many students didn't do what I
requested of them, all of my grades were erased from our system, and my
students' grades were based on two module C practice tests and the project,
which were evaluated by my English department head.  In the end, the only
input I had was ten percent of the grade for participation.  I felt awful
for the students who did my work and busted their but to do so.  They felt
like suckers for doing it.  The message they got in the end was that what I
did was not relevant and that what matters is how they do on the Bagrut.
That and that whining will get you everywhere.

Now, given that I hate testing anyway, I don't write a test that I can't use
as a teaching tool.  I give my students ample opportunity to achieve full
credit if that is what they desire.  I have also determined that, in the
future, I will primarily teach English and test for the learning of English,
and will devote just a handful of classes to test preparation.  I will also
devote myself to changing the system.  I don't want to suffer it, and I
certainly don't want my kids to.

David R. Herz

www.educatingisrael.com <http://www.educatingisrael.com/>

052-579-1859