[etni] Re: Integrating Native Speakers

  • From: Yisrael and Batya Medad <ybmedad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: shelleycooper2002@xxxxxxxxx, etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 06:58:08 +0200

Integrating is the key.  The English speakers (who barely if at all read
and write English) must be integrated into the highest group.  If there is
any level wherein heterogeneous teaching has a chance, this is it.
The school, not the parents, must be the initiators and control the
decisions.  But most important of all there must be methods.

For the first time, I have a top group, davka in the 9th grade.  It
consists of kids verbally fluent in English, some from home and some who
are just gifted in language or are just good students.  Their reading and
written skills are even more varied.  I'm sorry that I totally ignored all
sessions about teaching English Speakers, because I never thought I'd have
such a class.

I decided to concentrate on thinking and planning skills in two
directions.  One is to really teach them how to write compositions by
analyzing and diagramming texts.  For writing, we'll work on grammar,
too.  This is very exciting for the ES kids.  And at the same time the
non-ES will all be learning more English and how to understand the text.  I
hope it works.  Our main text will be Facts and Figures 2, UPP.  I'll go on
grammar tangents when they need it.  I hope that I can pull it all off in
just 4 hours a week.

Batya