[etni] Re: I missing something

The point, as *I* see it, is that while Bagrut grades are more or less
objective (even though we have all heard all kinds of horror stories
about ministry-appointed proctors who turn a blind eye on the cheaters),
school grades are too easy to tamper with. My vice-principal (I'm not
supposed to tell you the name of the school... :(  ) used to tell me
what grades to give to what pupils. when I made it clear I was not going
to take part in that game, the administration said OK = and they just
doctored the grades on their own adjusting them so as to make sure 90%
of the pupils would pass no matter what.

So I assume that making the final grade 50:50 used to be an arrangement
that gave fairness a chance. Any deviation from it wil skew the results
even further, and that this is what made Daniel so agitated.

By the way, the fact that school administration if so often so eager to
cook the books indicates that the system is seriously sick. Morbid.
Rotten. I wonder how - if at all - the Dovrat report deals with this
ugly phenomenon. Sue to my "insufficient flexibility" I've worked under
more principals than most of you. 90% of them are not professionals -
they are political creatures, cousins and friends of someone in the
local government, and their promotion has nothing to do with either
their track record as administrators nor with their rock-solid morals.
They are there because they are loyal to the hand that signed their
appointment. Only few of them steal (like the principal of the Brenner
High in Tel Aviv who told teachers to add hours to their monthly reports
that they had not taught - then told them to bring her the money earned
for these fictitious hours, allegedly to invest in school repairs...) -
but very few will hesitate to fire an excellent but non-compliant teacher.

Best -

Lev