[etni] Good font for LD and visually impaired

  • From: "Ellen Hoffenberg-Serfaty JD" <serf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 18:09:08 +0200

Hi all,

Awhile ago, I recommended APHont--an excellent font for visually
impaired and those with other reading problems, including LD.  At that
time, APB (American Printing House for the Blind) removed the download
for the font from the site, and distributed only through CD.

Downloads are now being offered again--go to this link:
http://www.aph.org/products/aphont.html

From the site:
"APHontTM (pronounced Ay'-font), was developed by APH specifically for
low vision readers. APHont embodies characteristics that have been shown
to enhance reading speed, comprehension, and comfort for large print
users."

To download the program:

Scroll down the page to "Download APHont".
You will need to fill out information (includiung check box indicating
that you will use the font with visually impaired)--wait a bit, and a
dialog box will pop-up.
Select "Save" and save to a location that you can find easily, and unzip
the file.
After the download, unzip (clicking on the file twice usually does it).

There is a ReadMe file that will tell you to copy the four font files
that are extracted, find you Windows; Fonts file (usually on your C
directory; Windows; Fonts) and copy the files to this location.

(The four files just include bold and italic versions).

I've been using this font many years, with all kinds of readers,
including those with very mild to no reading problems, and those with
more serious problems (including VI).  It is definitely a
favorite--students select this font as much, or more, than Comic Sans
MS.  My opinion is that is solves some spacial problems that Comic does
not.

Enjoy its use,

Ellen Serfaty

Ellen Hoffenberg-Serfaty, JD
serf@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Fax/Home: 02-5832605
www.enabling.org/ellen
SEN courses coordinator--David Yellin College
www.enabling.org/ellen/sencourse

EFL & Tech Coordinator
Learning Center for Blind & Dyslexic
Hebrew U. Mt. Scopus