[etni] G higher than F

  • From: Jack Pillemer <jackpil@xxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 08:44:11 +0300

I find that the G grades are often higher than F both in the matkonet at our
school and in the bagrut tests of our pupils. (On a national level I do not
know if this is true).  I'm not referring to magen issues where I agree with
Renee 100% that discrepancies are built into the system since the  Bagrut
exam  grades and the Magen grades  are not based on the same criteria.

The lower F than G grades seems to be a constant and  has puzzled me for a
while.
I think the reason for this difference is a result of the following:
The F is the first exam and pupils are nervous as opposed to G which  it is
the last and pupils have already done 2 unseens and  1 composition by this
time. They know what it is all about under exam conditions by this stage.

The G is longer by 15 minutes and that seems to add much needed time for
checking and working at a relaxing pace. I think this is a critical
difference.

The G questions and text tend to be more sophisticated but once the main
idea of the text is grasped, are quite straight forward. Surprisingly, the
fact that it is less possible to copy the correct answer directly from the
text serves my pupils well. They use their heads and their own simpler
English  and make fewer grammatical mistakes.

In F, however, the questions tend to be more niggly and less generalized and
pupils, not exactly sure of how to answer, rely on the text and rely less on
their own comprehension.

I have not checked this theory in any way "scientifically" so I wouldn't be
surprised if nobody agrees with me.

Still, my pupils generally do do better at G tests than at F and it is not
what is expected with the modular system.

Jack Pillemer

Jack Pillemer