[etni] Re: Fwd: re: alternative for F

  • From: Glenda Sacks <hagal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni.list@xxxxxxxxx, Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 18:43:28 +0300

Dear Etniers,

I loved the idea of literature being introduced into the bagrut and like
everyone I was against HOT because of the  blurred categories that have to
be taught (what is the difference , for example,  between comparing two
things and making connections???). However, I do see that metacognitive
thinking is a good thing (making the student aware of what he is doing while
he is doing it), but I am unhappy about making students choose ONE skill to
discuss in an exam question (our thinking is far more complex than that..)

Also, HOTs helps teachers who are not orientated towards teaching literature
to find  a way into literary texts that may be helpful to them (eg. today I
will contextualize the text and then I will compare it to anther text
etc..). So, whoever wants to know more about HOTs and teaching literature
should take the course but HOTs should not be the focus of the lessons to
students in the classrooms. The passion, emotion and drama already infused
in literary texts should be the main  point of the lessons. For those
teachers who want to talk about HOTs that is fine, but it shouldn't be
compulsory.

So, my suggestion is: Do away with the bagrut exam (Literature F MODULE)
AND the project which is the basis of the oral exam.

Instead, have EVERYONE  do the Literature Logs where teachers can choose
from a wide range of texts and have students write monologues, diary
entries, newspaper  articles, plays, wanted posters etc, etc,  based on the
texts they have studied. The MOE can stipulate how many pieces of writing
they want in each log. Instead of doing unseens and essays for the F module,
teachers will be focusing on poems and stories and encouraging creative
writing.

 Furthermore, let the oral exam be based on the  literature log.

External examiners can double check grades so that inflated marks are not
given out to students.

By doing away with the heavy emphasis on HOTs as well as the  project, we
can perhaps solve some of the complaints about pedagogy, work load and
economic compensation.

 Glenda Sacks