[etni] Fwd: re: accommodations

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 11:15:54 +0200

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Bev Stock <bevstock@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: accommodations

I have only been partly following this discussion. However, I want to
make 2 points.

1. Mitzi and Adele - you are both right in that a student can use a
dictionary during the final exam for the entire exam. However, we all
know that there can be too much dependence on the dictionary.

2. Michele made a very valid point. As classroom teachers there are
times when we should demand that ALL our students try and cope with a
text without the aid of a dictionary.  They need to acquire some basic
vocabulary. If they can always use the dictionary, this will not
happen.

I often give vocabulary quizzes without a dictionary. My aim is to see
what they can recall. My aim is not to see if they can use the
dictionary. If a LD student cannot do a vocabulary quiz without a
dictionary I would not give the same quiz to that student. I would
design a quiz using the same words but asking them to do something
that makes use of the information in the dictionary. E.G. What part of
speech is  the word X in the following sentence?. Complete the
sentence using one of the words in the word bank ( Students who don't
understand the word usually have trouble with these types of exercises
with or withut a dictionary) Which dictionary meaning matches the
meaning of the word X in the sentence below?

Bev