[etni] Fwd: Thank you Michelle

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 10:58:10 +0200

--------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jenifer Byk <byk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Thank you Michelle

Michelle wrote about accommodations for those rare pupils who have
tremendous problems with vocabulary retrieval.

I absolutely agree that they should be encouraged to acquire as much
vocabulary as they can, and my particular pupil does just that.  But
when it comes to performance, her knowledge goes out the window.  She
tends to leap onto anything that sounds similar, paying absolutely no
attention to whether the word makes sense in context.  However, more
than anything else, she needs to learn to use the dictionary properly
and fast, so that she understands what she is reading.  Actually, she
works much better with a dictionary like Passport.

Because everything takes so long for many LD pupils, it is probably
preferable for them to answer fewer questions.  And it would also be
nice if the exams were a little less crowded  on the page.  I know how
hard teachers work, so perhaps Etni could put up a home for tests that
have worked for LD pupils.  And perhaps volunteers could be found to
make sure that the format of the test is more LD pupil friendly.

Jennifer Byk