[etni] Fwd: Re: pro - log

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 06:45:38 +0200

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Graniewitz <graniewitz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: pro - log

I'm sorry, Sharon, IMHO the main bone of contention is the
log.

Firstly, no matter what we do we will never prevent
plagiarism, copying and the work being done by private
teachers etc.

Secondly, the fact that it is an option means that there
will be major discrepancies in grades between schools doing
the log and those doing the exam. What will happen
eventually is that teachers in the latter will be
pressurised to switch over to the logs against their will
and principles when it becomes evident that logs almost
guarantee higher grades.

I agree that logs do give us more freedom but the Bagrut is
meant to be a standardised exam that can be recognised by
institutes of higher education. If 62.5% of it will be given
by the class teacher, then it will cease to be an objective
measurement of the pupil's knowledge of English and I can
see universities disregarding it. The consequence of this
will be that pupils will stop taking English seriously at
school and just wait to take the psychometric exam.

I think that we are shooting ourselves in the foot with this
one.

Regards
David Graniewitz
Jerusalem